National Family Celebrations launch a nationwide event to reinforce the importance of the family.
| PHOTO: SHUTTERSTOCK
As a voice of the Singaporean family, the National Family Celebrations aims to be “a champion and advocate for the Singaporean family.” NFC seeks to reinforce the importance of the family unit. In doing so, it hopes that its line-up of events and activities that involve families spending quality time, will ensure a time of family bonding.
With the theme “Live, Love and Play. Together!” NFC seeks to reflect the message that family bonds can be strengthened through shared activities.
A key highlight of the celebrations this year is the Singapore Family Pledge Movement, where family members are encouraged to make a pledge of their commitment toward their family. A pledge of commitment toward the family could be in the form of a parent bringing the family out for breakfast on Sunday; a parent reading bedtime stories to his/her children every night; a child committing to help mom wash the dishes every alternate day; a family pledging to sit down to dinner together as a family every night—anything that would help foster family ties.
The idea of having the pledge movement is encourage people to take the time to consider how they can improve their relationship and appreciate one another in the family by showing affection or spending time together, instilling a sense of family togetherness while the children are at a young age.
For this groundbreaking national movement, the NFC hopes to garner at least 250,000 family pledges island-wide through schools, corporations and the community. Schools and organizations that have garnered more than 500 pledges will be recognized as a Pledge Ambassador of the Singapore Family Pledge Movement.
The public can log on to www.nfc.sg to view the pledges made by various individuals.
The National Family Celebrations website offers a list of tips and activities for families to take part in. Here are 15 ideas.
1. Take the new Circle Line MRT as a family outing and get off at various stops to explore the surroundings.
2. Plan a local holiday together and embark on exploring places of interest in Singapore as a family.
3. Enjoy a relaxing day building sand castles on the beach with your family.
4. Set aside time once a week to play a sport together.
5. Say “thank you” to everyone in the family.
6. Start a weekly family movie night with everyone taking turns to choose the movie.
7. Make a family scrapbook of the times you spend together.
8. Trace your family tree together with your family.
9. Volunteer for community projects together as a family.
10. Say “goodbye” to your family before leaving the house for school or work.
11. Discuss as a family how household chores can be shared.
12. Make birthdays a special and memorable occasion for the birthday boy/girl in the family.
13. Spend some time with your family everyday talking to one another.
14. Get everyone involved in the preparations and cooking of a family meal.
15. Make a list of your family’s favorite hawker dishes and sample one dish a week with your family at a highly recommended stall.
A full list of Family Tips can be viewed at www.nfc.sg.